Acting as Principal Contractor on this £5.3m Design and Build scheme to develop a historic Grade B listed Edinburgh building into a Travelodge. Work included complete refurbishment and fit out across 8 storeys of this complex building located within the shadows of Edinburgh’s Calton Hill.
The Category A listed building dates back to the 1920’s; originally over 6 storeys with corner tower renaissance steel framed construction and , internally with ionic columns framed by a proscenium arch. Sharkey’s appointment required extensive restoration and conservation works to listed elements such as windows, columns, archways, floors and the magnificent scale and platt stair. The project comprised formation of a 98 bed hotel incorporating pre-fabricated bathroom pods with new glazed link bridges to the adjoining sandstone building. In addition, a two storey extension was constructed all confined within the tightest possible city centre site. The construction process was described as “building a hotel through a letterbox”.