In October 2013 Sharkey were appointed by Lloyds Banking Group to undertake the multi-phased refurbishment of Scottish Widows RIBA award-winning Dalkeith Road offices in the heart of Edinburgh. As with every Sharkey project environmental sustainability was at the heart of this large and challenging scheme. Working in partnership with our client and supply chain we worked tirelessly to ensure that our impact on the environment was minimised, whilst still maintaining our trademark quality and exceptional service delivery. Through a series of successful environmental initiatives Sharkey were delighted to be awarded the RICS Ska Silver Award. These included:
- A partnership with the charity Spruce Carpets meant that 60% of the existing flooring was removed and refurbished for low income households to use in future projects. The remaining 40% of flooring was either damaged or unusable but was saved from landfill by being recycled for other uses
- Our partnership also supported Spruce Carpets in their aim of providing training and work experience opportunities for people who have found themselves excluded from the job market.
- 100% of timber utilised on the Dalkeith Road project was FSC accredited
- Fluorescent fittings were replaced with low-energy LED lights, significantly improving the energy efficiency of the building
SKA rating is an environmental assessment method, benchmark and standard for non-domestic fit-outs, led and owned by RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors). SKA rating helps landlords and tenants assess fit-out projects against a set of sustainability good practice criteria.
If you would like to find out more about this interesting project please have a look at our case study: http://www.sharkeyuk.com/case_study/scottish-widows-dalkeith-road/